Completing your HCPC application form

If you like, I can send you a FREE example of a completed form.
Click here for the details.


Just a heads up: my completed application including supporting documents was 75 pages long
(it sure made for a heavy envelope and heavy postage fees!) 
But after looking into all of this more recently for you, I’ve discovered that the HCPC has released a new form that is much shorter and much easier to complete than what I went through – lucky you!

To make this process as painless as possible for you, I’ll walk you through each step, and each page of the application form. If you’d like more assistance than what I’ve provided here, I’ve come up with an example form to help you complete your application – just flick me a message on Instagram or Facebook and (after you have liked/followed FLiP) and I can send you the download link.

But first things first. Head to the HCPC website and have a read through the Standards of Proficiency for your profession. It’s a quick read and something I would encourage to make double-y sure that you’re eligible to apply, and comfortable with all the expected requirements for someone in your line of work in the UK.

If you’re satisfied that you meet the criteria (and won’t be wasting your time going through this process for no reason) go ahead and download the following:

1) International Application Form 

2) Guidance for International Applicants Document 

3) Course Information Form


Disclaimer: the Guidance Document should be your first port of call if you’re unsure about a particular section of the form. If you’re still unclear about what is required then you can contact the HCPC by email at international@hcpc-uk.org who should provide you with a fairly speedy, accurate response (that was my experience anyway). I’ve done my best to help you out with the parts of the form that confused me, but ultimately it’s your responsibility to ensure all the information you provide is correct for your circumstances – please don’t just copy!

Page 1

Nice and easy to begin with.

I hope you’ve got this one all on your own…

Page 2

I shouldn’t need to help you out much here either.

A National Insurance Number (NIN) is like your Tax File Number in Australia. You can’t actually apply for this until you enter the UK, so if you don’t have one already don’t worry, just leave it blank.

You will need a certified copy of your current passport, and something with your name and current address on it e.g. a bill or bank statement (read the guidance notes closely here, an Australian driver’s licence isn’t acceptable).

Page 3

Hopefully self explanatory.

Use the qualification as it’s written on your degree certificate – you will need to provide a certified copy of this.

The “Course Information Form” is the 3rd document you downloaded from the HCPC website. You will need someone from your uni to complete this for you, so email it to your course administrator/co-ordinator. They have more than likely done this for previous students so it shouldn’t take too long. Expect to pay a fee though.

Page 4

Provide the details of your previous work experience in reverse chronological order (most recent job first).

They will contact these people as your referees, so consider who you put down carefully!

The international calling code is +61 02 **** **** for NSW, +61 03 **** **** for VIC etc.

Tick ‘Yes’ if you were registered with AHPRA while working in this position. A box will pop up below, enter the website as their contact details https://www.ahpra.gov.au.

Page 5

The more detail you can provide the better, so fill this up with all the great stuff you have done!

Want some tips on what to write? Like or follow FLiP on social media and I can send you an example of a completed application form to provide some guidance on how to structure your answer.

Page 6

As per page 4.

Page 7

As per page 5

Page 8

Examples of professional bodies or organisations your might want to include:

  • Australian Physiotherapy Association or equivalent (apologies for the physio bias non-physios!)
  • Other special interest groups e.g. Sports Medicine Australia, Hand Therapy Association etc.

Page 9

If English is your first language then all you have to do is tick the ‘Yes’ box, no need to provide evidence.

If English is your second language, you will need to have passed the IELTS test within the past 2 years (I didn’t have to do this myself, so I’m sorry I can’t provide any further details about what to do).

Hope you know your email address!

Page 10

I can’t tell you what to do here, just answer honestly.

Page 11

A very helpful little check list. Tick things off as you get them done and you will easily be able to keep track of where you are up to.

Phew, done!

Just to confirm, by the end of this process you should have:

  • A completed application form
  • A passport photo attached
  • A completed Course Information Form from your uni
  • Certified copies (e.g. from your local Justice of the Peace or Police Station) of:
    • Your passport
    • A proof of address document
    • You uni qualifications

Now chuck it all in an A4 envelope (no staples or paperclips) and post it off to Old London Town.

After this it’s just a waiting game (up to 4 months), but you should expect the following:

  • An email confirming that your application has been received by the HCPC office
  • An email with a link to pay your APPLICATION/SCRUTINY fee
  • Within 4 weeks of payment, an email to say your application has been accepted (if everything’s complete) and the initial assessment process has commenced
  • Within 60 working days, an email stating the outcome of your application (fingers crossed for APPROVED!)


Once your application is approved you will need to pay your REGISTRATION fee to be added to the HCPC register of health professionals.

At the moment registration costs £180 for 2 years.

The registration cycle runs on different dates for different professions, for example the current registration cycle for physiotherapists is April 2020 to April 2022. 

You can apply at any time of year (you don’t need to wait until April), and the rate you pay will be adjusted depending on how much of the cycle is remaining. For example if you register in the second year of the cycle, you will only pay £90. When the next cycle commences, you will then pay the full £180 to be registered for the next 2 years.


You’ve got the big green tick to allow you to work! It’s full steam ahead now to your next job – getting into the country. It’s time to apply for a visa.


> The Next Step: Arranging Your Visa

< Back to the UK